Buy Shun DM0722 Classic 6-Inch Serrated Utility Knife


Buy Shun DM0722 Classic 6-Inch Serrated Utility Knife








button



CUSTOMER REVIEW

Review

Update 9/10/07: Before purchasing this knife separately, check out the Shun Classic U2 (Ultimate Utility) Knife. You may like it better.



I believe if you're serious about cooking, you should own great cookware and excellent knives. I finally stepped up and got excellent knives. For those who haven't heard the hype, Shun is one of the most respected knife brands in the world. Check them out on the Web at kershawknives.com.



Great features of the entire line include these cool "D" shaped handles that fit your hand better. Every Shun Classic knife is made in a right- and left-handed version (chefsresource.com for lefties). The steel used for the blades is harder than what you would find in most other knives. The knives are EXTREMELY sharp. One thing to note about Asian knives is that they must be sharpened at a different angle, 16-18 degrees vs. 20 degrees for German knives. The Shun steel takes the guesswork out of getting the angle correct because of the flat edge on one side of the metal disc below the handle.



Tomato knife -- I didn't eat tomatoes for a week while I was waiting on this knife to arrive. I'm glad I waited. I used to cut tomatoes with a steak knife and this is so much better!

I think this knife is the utility knife with scallops. I don't have enough knife smarts to know the difference between serrations and scallops, but I do know I love this knife. In Alton Brown's "Gear" book, he prefers scallops, but didn't say why.



This is an expensive, but lifetime investment. I encourage you to visit stores and feel the knives in your hand to make sure you are comfortable with them. For more info on Shun, check out Alton Brown's website. For ratings on various brands and types of knives, check out cooksillustrated.coms' equipment ratings.



This is probably the best kitchen purchase I've made and the one I'm most proud of.

Post a Comment